Get me outta here!

Being Professional (A Message to Student Leaders)

[September 2007]
It’s nice to think that there is an increasing number of so-called “student leaders” nowadays who are willing to risk even their own studies in order to heed the call of leadership. But it’s also sad to know that there are leaders who don’t project a good example on leadership. It’s very disappointing, especially when their steps are the ones the youth today are expected to follow, instead, they are the ones who promote being unprofessional.
Be professional, learn to listen. I know it will hurt our pride, but, like what they say, listening is not fatal. Listening suggests your appreciation of what others say. It’s not because you’re in a position above others, then you already own the monopoly for speaking. As a matter of fact, learning starts from listening, and since every one of us has our own needs for learning, we all need to listen.
Be professional, observe punctuality. Time is important to everyone. Unfortunately, each one is still struggling to manage every tick of the clock, for that reason I admire punctual people. Time is really very hard to handle, but we should never stop trying doing so, for the sake of professionalism, that is. I myself admit that I do have a hard time managing my time. The sad part is that there are also people who seems not to care about time, they just find themselves cramming in the end. But the most annoying of all are those people with towering ego. Sometimes they are those who are in the positioned in offices. And being above others, they simply disregard the time of those below. The saying goes; time is gold, so more than valuing, it needs to be treasured.
Be professional, watch your words. Your language reflects your personality, the dirtier your tongue, the filthier you are. Harsh words leave deeper scars than physical wounds, so better be careful with what you say. If you want others to respect you, especially by the people you expect to respect you, talk to them appropriately.
Be professional, act maturely. We’re already old, be by age or mind. We all know now what is right from wrong, moral from not, and the acceptable from the despicable. Do not act contrary to the position you hold, particularly if you know that all eyes are on you. Whether you like it or not, you will be judged base on your actions. There is nothing wrong with acting right if that is what the situation demands.
Be professional, respect the opinion of others. We all have our own opinions, and it vary across people. Sometimes we cannot avoid situations where our opinions collide against others, or against the majority. But still, we should never forget to respect their opinion; anyway, it’s just an opinion, and not the basis of right and wrong. If you agree with it, then go on with it, if not, then what the heck, right? You should also not force your opinion to others, yet, try to make your idea acceptable to everybody.
Be professional, be responsible. Above all that’s need to be done, you need to make—and finish—everything that is vested unto you. In this way you can gain the respect from other people. Always remember that you are the only one who can do—in your own way—the task assigned to you, so do not disappoint anybody.
I know that I don’t have the right to preach, who am I to do so, right? I am not in the position to tell others about their mistakes, because like them, I also commit mine. I admit that I have my own tendencies of not being professional, but I am trying my best to fix those.
We all have to accept in ourselves that we are merely human beings, we're not perfect, and we commit errors sometimes. But being human should never be an excuse for committing mistakes. We should forgive ourselves, reflect on our shortcomings and change: change for the better.
It is a rare opportunity for someone’s ideas to be read in public. That’s why I will take that chance to speak my mind, and not just blabber nonsensically. There are times that, whether we like it or not, we are assigned to lead, either in class, in school, or in the community. And youth as we are, we should never ignore the call for responsible leadership. It is part of our growth as individuals—it’s inevitable. And having that great responsibility, we need the power to lead, and that power is being professional. Let’s not follow the ways of some adults if we know that they’re not doing the right thing. We live our own life, so we should live it our own way, and lead others with our own means.


This was an article I wrote for The Philippine Artisan way back 2007, which, for reasons seemingly forgotten, was never published. Reading it 4 years later, I am fascinated by how I can relate to this article now; it's like, my 19 year old self is telling me what to do. Oh well, call it double standard, or whatever, the message is simple, its a message ought to be heard by today's youth, including me.

0 comments and violent reactions :

Post a Comment